Wednesday, October 02, 2019

Wee Hours



So, I went to the doctor, and it turns out I had more than just allergies. It's a little past 6am, and I've been on the sofa all night. I've got my pillows and quilts on the sofa with me and I have my medicine, sore throat spray, and a tray of soup, tea, and juice all scattered on the floor near me. I slept through most of the night, with the television on, and woke up at about 4:30am and haven't been back to sleep since. I just watched the last episode of My So-Called Life, which was my very favorite show when I was in high school. Angela's fixation with Jordan Catalano mirrored my obsession with a guy friend of mine (who also happened to have an Italian last name). Well, except Angela actually had a relationship with Jordan, albeit a fleeting one.

Anyway, now the sky is getting brighter by the minute. It makes me long for the mornings you have when you are traveling. You've awakened earlier than usual to make headway to your next destination. You've had the continental breakfast of muffins, fruit, and yogurt at the hotel, or you've picked up a small greasy breakfast at an airport Burger King. You've gone through security, and now that the adrenaline rush of getting to the airport on time is over, you are watching CNN on one of the televisions at the terminal through groggy eyes. All around you are other sleepy people, much quieter than the travelers that come through later in the day. They are drinking coffee or dozing as they try to read the paper or feeding their babies and keeping their toddlers quietly contained. Some of the others look excited, as if there is no greater thrill than getting on this plane headed for (insert destination here), and some look bored, as if they take this trip every week and they'd rather not. CNN, the grogginess, the people-watching--I really miss those traveling mornings. Not that I've had that many of them.

Alright, goodbye for now.

P.S. Bravo! to my brother Cameron who is on his way to Wake Forest and to becoming a world-class doctor. :)

1 comments:

jennifercatalano said...

Robyn, Very cool blog you have set up. I especially like the really cute pictures in your scrapbooks. It's funny that I ended up marrying a Catalano. I remember that guy in "My So Called Life." Ah.....The good old days. We really did have lots of fun together, didn't we?